February 3, 2009

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out or: Rampax, the Evil Italian Robot

For the longest time, I always thought that non-missile-firing toys were the worst. At some point during my childhood suddenly all the missile launchers wouldn't fire their missiles; you could still shoot the missile, the launcher just wouldn't release it. Some dumb kid was probably to blame. Recently I stumbled across a vintage toy site from Italy looking for some Lego Scala jewelry. As shipping was gonna cost a bit anyway, I added a few extra items to my order. One of which is this super-cool Kit Robot called Rampax by an Italian company called Grisoni. I think the packaging alone is worth it.I have a feeling this toy may be haunted. I used my trusty X-ACTO Gripster knife to cut the parts off the tree. It's been quite awhile since I've cut myself, but then, slice, off comes a tiny piece of a knuckle off the middle finger of my left hand.
Rampax's abuse didn't stop there though. It has two missile-firing arms: the right uses a simple hook mechanism; and the left arm uses a more complex swivel motion to fire. After I put it together, as I am oft to do when displaying toys, I put its arms in the air, forgetting about the left arm's harpoon like missile's firing mechansim. It hit only about 1/8" below my right eye. I've since removed the springs.Just look at this face on its chest. Rampax is angry. It wants to take your eyes.

No comments: